Course titleBiology I Honors -Virtual
Course descriptionCourse Description
This compelling full-year course engages students in the study of life and living organisms and examines biology and biochemistry in the real world. It encompasses traditional concepts in biology and encourages exploration of new discoveries in this field of science. The components include biochemistry; cell biology; cell processes; heredity and reproduction; the evolution of life; taxonomy; human body systems; and ecology. This course includes both hands-on wet labs and virtual lab options.
Throughout the course; you will meet the following goals:
- Relate the interdependence of ecosystems and propose solutions to issues impacting the environment.
- Understand the relationships among living organisms.
- Describe the functions and processes that control cellular activities.
- Explain the relationship between DNA and protein synthesis.
- Examine the taxonomy that organizes all organisms.
- Recognize the structures and functions of systems of the human body.
This course requires the same level of commitment from you as a traditional classroom course would. Throughout the course; you are expected to spend approximately 5?7 hours per week online on the following activities:
- Interactive lessons that include a mixture of instructional videos and tasks
- Assignments in which you apply and extend learning
- Assessments; including quizzes; tests; and cumulative exams
Students will spend approximately 25% of their course time engaged in laboratory activity. Wet labsand virtual labs will draw upon the seven science practices (listed below) outlined by the AP Biology Curriculum Framework. Laboratory investigations will challenge students to draw upon their understanding of biological concepts; apply mathematical and scientific skills; utilize critical thinking; and develop communication skills through written reports and interactions with classmates. Students will conduct experiments that require them to collect; analyze; and interpret data; and to present their conclusions in thoughtfully written lab reports and reflections.
School countryUnited States
School cityVero Beach
School / district Address6055 62nd Avenue
School zip code32967
Requested competency codeLab Science
Approved competency code