Course titleSCBAR and SCBBR
Biology A and B Course Descriptions
These two course are an introduction to general biology and to the processes of scientific inquiry and thinking. They will include the fundamental principles of living organisms including physical and chemical properties of life;cellular organization and function; the transfer of energy through metabolic systems; cellular reproduction; the classificationof living things; the six kingdoms of life will be examined. The main focus is to present biological information in an understandable and straight forward way that will capture the students? interest dealing with up to date principles and concepts.
These are generally 12 week courses and are intense with several involved labs to complete. The Labs are an important part of this class; and they will go a long way in enriching the student's educational experience.
The Students are required to participate in virtual laboratory investigations throughout this class that are within the course content and online. Labs are an important part of the scientific process; and understanding the scientific process is one of the most important parts of any science class. Students will gain a detailed understanding of the scientific process and lab procedures by performing labs related to important biological theories and ideas.
Here below is a list of the Lab assignments in these two courses with their objectives and some descriptions :
The Enzyme Lab :
1. Study the effects of temperature; pH; substrate concentration; enzyme concentration; and enzyme specificity on the function of several types of enzymes.
2. Be able to discuss the role of enzymes in the functioning of the human body.
3. Be able to discuss the effects of altered enzymes on the human body.
4. Understand and be able to relate the protein nature of enzymes to their function.
The Photosynthesis Lab:
1. Learn about the requirements for the photosynthesis process to occur
2. Conduct a series of guided investigations in a virtual science lab
The Mitosis Lab :
1. Learn about cell division in prokaryotes; how fast it is; and the basic steps of DNA replication; segregation of DNA; and Cytokinesis.
2. Learn the processes occurring during the cell cycle.
3. Be able to discuss the processes occurring in mitosis; in your own words.
4. Be able to discuss the processes occurring in meiosis; in your own words.
5. Distinguish between the roles of mitosis and meiosis in the life of a multicellular organism.
6. Be able to discuss the process of gametogenesis.
The Meiosis Lab :
1. Learn the stages of Meiosis and the events in each stage.
2. Compare events of mitosis with those of meiosis.
3. Learn how meiosis contributes to and plays a role in gamete formation.
The DNA Lab :
1. Learn about the structure of the DNA molecule and how DNA replicates itself.
2. The nature of complementary DNA bases
3. The personalities and cultural context of the race to discover the structure of DNA.
The RNA Lab :
1. Learn about the types of RNA molecules produced by cells.
2. Study the details of transcription and translation.
The Evolution Lab :
1. Examine the evidence supporting the theory of evolution.
The History of Life lab :
1. Learn about the different types of fossils
2. Select and study in depth a group of organisms
3. Prepare a virtual poster session to be shared with your classmates detailing the biology and evolution of the group of fossils you have chosen. An alternate to this activity is to prepare a poster on life of a particular period or epoch of geologic time.
The Plant Structure Lab :
1. To familiarize yourself with the concepts of cells; tissues; organs; and organs systems; and how those relate to the multicellular organism.
2. To learn about and be able to recognize the various types of cells that occur in a flowering plant
The Flower; Fruits; Seeds Lab :
1. You will learn about the structure of flowers; fruits and seeds.
2. You should be able to identify the various parts of a typical flower and give their functions.
3. You will learn what represents the male gametophyte and female gametophyte in flowering plants; and what is meant by the term ?alternation of generations?.
4. You will learn about the processes of microsporogenesis; megasporogenesis; and pollination.
5. You should be able to describe the ?double fertilization? that is unique to flowering plants.
6. You will learn the function/value of fruits to both the plant as well as humans.
7. You will learn about the major types of asexual reproduction among flowering plants.
The Virtual Pig Dissection Lab :
1. Explore and report on the various organs and organ systems in a mammal; as typified by a fetal pig.
2. Study the interconnectedness and dependence of the major organ systems of a mammalian body.
The Biomes Lab :
1. Explore and report on one of the terrestrial biomes shown in the map above..
2. Develop and present a virtual poster to be presented at you class? online virtual presentation session.
School countryUnited States
High schoolPinnacle Virtual High School
School / district Address3225 S. Hardy Drive
School zip code85282
Requested competency codeLab Science
Approved competency code